What Did You Do Today? (2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
.....Yup, we gave it a practice run of sorts last night..... :D
Stan. ...........

IMG_45801280x960.jpg

I didn't know you drank Diet Coke??? :)

Sheet metal all removed off the front of the 55; minimal amount of the firewall removed and the engine test fitted.
Blocked up the car high enough so I could get my butt under to install the tranny crossmember once all is 'marked home'. As I am typing this I have realized that I mistakenly only have the car blocked under the frame, not under the front suspension...I will have to change that before templating the engine mounts as the 455 will change the compression and the stance of the car.
The engine is sitting where it makes the least amount of interference with the other new components, power brake vacuum pot, new dual reservoir and the power rack assembly, including the route for the steering shaft. This puts the beast back into the passenger compartment about 3" more than the firewall would have allowed.
Obvious next step is to now set the front end down on its suspesion and then re-level the engine before templating the engine mounts.
...Pictures, soon, having trouble uploading with the crappy internet connection.
Greg
405151659.jpg

405151642.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't know you drank Diet Coke???

....The diet coke we get in this area is a fairly concentrated variety and we usually find something to dilute it down a bit..... :D
Stan. ............

I used a Honda CRV or Element rack in my 56 Safari ,, They are center steer so they have long tie rods which worked perfect in the Pontiac, They also have a really nice angle where the steering column hooks to the rack. Works perfect if the steering whell is on the right (correct) side of the car which of course is the LEFT side ( facing forward ) haha Honda also has really nice little universal joints and the double D shaft almost fitts the GM column perfectly ,,It did need a slight bit of weld to build it up in size and it slides right in nice and tight , The only other thing is the power steering pressure line which needs an adapter from GM to Metric ,, Silver solder is the perferred method of joining the two together .

Thanks to "Scotty" for coming over and assisting with hands and knowledge to teach me about side window removal...without an arsenal of hammers and pry bars :D
Good visit and some work done too...

Rusty Olds, if you were asking me about the R&P, I installed it in the car a couple of years ago; I believe it is a Flaming river unit.

Greg

Last edited:
Installed a remote starter in my daughter's Toyota Matrix. I think that's the last of the blue chores and now I can get back to work on my truck.

Stan ... I have the exact same cooler... with plans for it as a trailer as well.. LOL

Cheers

...These coolers are actually a two compartment build. The lower part is where the motor/compresser went. Now empty. So, now to put a floor in it and make a door for it. I don't think they ever had a lower door as this side went against the wall and air flow was needed to keep the compresser cool.
...So, I will put a flat deck on the trailer frame then bolt the cooler on top of that. Sort of easy I guess. For this I use old fridge doors. Yup, just like off the fridge in your kitchen. The metal is about 18/20 gauge, easy to work with and weld as it is not recycled metal but first time thru the mill, AND ... they give them to you free at the dump....:)... Now the top part can stay all cooler compartment.... And of course I took pitures....
Won't get much done this evening as we bought new living room furnature last night that "needs some assembly" ... so I guess thats my job tonight.... :(
Stan. ..........

IMG_45821280x960.jpg

IMG_45831280x960.jpg

IMG_45841280x960.jpg

IMG_45871280x960.jpg

Good plan Stan.
Definately a manly trailer...compartment for cold ones bigger than compartment for gear.
Simian grunt ... Arr Arr Arr

Fell off aladder, trying to get down from shop attic. Broken heel, torn muscles in back, HUGE lump on head, concusion. Other than that"" HAPPY NEW YEAR""
Frank:mad::eek::eek:

That is not a great way to start a new year Frank. Was it one of the pull down attic ladders? I have one of those and slipping look like it really could hurt.

Russ

Russ.. Nope 10 Alum thing. long hard drop ,after hanging by my arms till.. SPLAT!! fall down go BOOM!!!!! EEEch, Ouch. Musta looked a little like Tim Conway.:eek::eek::eek:

Fell off aladder, trying to get down from shop attic. Broken heel, torn muscles in back, HUGE lump on head, concusion. Other than that"" HAPPY NEW YEAR""
Frank:mad::eek::eek:

Oh man ... not the way to end the year.
I suspect you'll be layed up for a while recouping.

Not as bad as you .... but I fell outta bed the other night fighting off someone in a dream.
Hit my head ( twice ) on the bedside table before hitting floor.
Two lumps, a wrecked shoulder and a sympathy-less wife, " that'll teach you for playing Call of Duty Black Ops. "

Last edited:
Yep Frank, you do kind of resemble Tim.... "Must a looked a little like Tim Conway." Hang in there ..oh, sorry... bad choice of words...heel up partner!

Status
Not open for further replies.