Clutch Popper Wednesdays

Well tonight was my night. The special at the new west was Pork Cutlet, with corn chowder soup and mashed potatoes.

When we got back, Dave got started on fabbing up the headers for the passenger side. They do look a lot better than the drivers side, simply because there is no awkward steering box to go around.
PC080321.jpg

PC080329.jpg

PC080332.jpg

Their all welded up now, and ready to bolt on. One more item crossed off the check list.

While Dave was doing that, Johnny and I teamed up and shimmed the body, and adjusted the doors so they open and close properly. The drivers door was a breeze with just a couple strategically placed shims under the body mounts.
The passenger door however was a bitch. After a few hours, and one really fat bubba gump lip, we got it. The fat lip was caused by a cordless drill. I hate drills!
PC080324.jpg

PC080323.jpg

Once the doors were good, I trimmed the rear valence.
I'm still not sure why this piece was like this, but I'm sure brookville has their reasons.
Anyways I thought it looked dumb, so 2 1/2" was trimmed off it.
Before
PC080331.jpg

After
PC080333.jpg

Oh and Johnny skipped his kids Christmas concert to be here tonight. He was going to go, but his son Liam insisted he come to the shop cause, "Christmas concerts are stupid, and hot rods are way cooler"
PC080322.jpg

Fat Fred even hung out for a bit tonight. He is always at the shop, but normally he just sleeps on the old couch upstairs.
PC080336.jpg

After seeing my lip, Fred came to the conclusion the "Hot Rod Gods" were angry with us, and therefor a sheep had to be sacrificed to calm them down.
PC090339.jpg

PC090343.jpg

It must have worked cause the rest of the night went smooth as could be, with no more injury's!
PC090340.jpg

Anyways, until next wednesday.....

Cool Garage

WoW,You guys have an interesting collection of projects,but that is one seriously overweight dog.LOL:):)

Coming along real nicely.

They have shops that peirce lips, :D no need for the cordless to do that job. ;)

Very cool, rear valence looks mmuch better trimmed up. looks like lots of cool projects in the shop. keep th e updates coming

i drive an automatic, but i wish i was a clutch popper!:D

and ya yer dog is a fat sombitch...:p

headers look good now--as for Fred you guys are lucky he sacrificed the stuffy or you would have had a worse night than a fat lip:D keep the photos coming

Holy crap, I was just about to go to bed, when I realized I never posted what we did tonight!
Anyways, it was Johnny's night tonight and we worked on his T coupe. Didn't do to much to it, as the weather is really crappy here and we were all feeling pretty tired. Plus I've shoveled so much snow I can hardly feel my arms.
Musical entertainment tonight was by the Old 97's, X, and the New York Dolls.

Johnny dug out his 1/4 panel again and three of us teamed up on it. Dave and Johnny went over the entire panel fixing dents and low spots, while I started making a new wheel opening.

PC150354.jpg

PC150361.jpg

I started out by making a template of what was left of the old one and transferring it on to some new 18g sheetmetal.

PC150353.jpg

Here is the new piece, left big all the way around so I can trim it to fit once it is shaped.
PC150356.jpg

And the shaping begins....
PC150358.jpg

Always wear gloves! this thing will cut you so bad, you'll wish you never got cut so bad!
PC150359.jpg

And here is the finished piece after running it through the nibbler for a while, and then the planishing hammer to smooth it all out. Next step, trim it down to fit, and weld it in!
PC150360.jpg

Next week it's Daves turn! As you can see he is already excited.
PC150362.jpg

Cool! But dude do yourself a favor when hammering. Wear ear protection. Being deaf sucks. I have over 25% loss and my father is over 90% in one ear. You never miss till it is gone.

Hahahaha lee! You actually posted that pic! I was actually thinking 3 things here all at the same time 1) the power hammer is an amazing piece of machinery I wonder how I can re-engineer it in my head 2) I am sad Wednesday is almost over 3) holy am I tired...

Thanks dumprat, noted, normally I do wear heading protection, I am a millwright by trade and work around alot of loud equipment and know better. A sharp hammer causes worse hearing loss than a constant noise.

Excellent progress and as usual excellent skills shown. As one of the somewhat deaf guys, I agree with what dumpy said.

I'm a little disappointed that we didn't find out what the dinner special was at the usual watering hole...........

AAAAaaaaahhhhh! Well the new west was serving Veal cutlets with your choice of potato, coffee, santa fe style soup and rice pudding for dessert which is what I had, the other special which Lee and Johnny had was a bacon cheddar burger with fries

Last edited:
a deaf railroader told me air leaks are the worst for your hearing, they are sure annoying

nice work on the patch panels.