Remember Logic??

James__WC

Supporting Member
Sorry in advance for the mini novel, just trying to paint the whole picture for what's going on, and how frustrating it is dealing with Government run Corporations.....

OK, just to set up what's coming, back in late Jan, while reading posts on a truck specific forum, someone mentioned that some trim clips they were trying to source from a supplier in the US were no longer available. Being as I actually will need some of the same clips, and had posted for someone else a few weeks previously, I found my previous post, and attempted to open the link I had posted....only it doesn't work:(
Well, with a bit of digging on the vendors site, I discover that in the interim, their webpage has gone through a major revamp, so I figure I''l wait until Monday, and call to verify weather they still do (or don't have stock.
Well, Monday rolls around, I give them a call, expecting it to be a yes, and some sort of problem with the webpage....but I'm told it doesn't show up because they no longer have stock.
BUT, he does tell me I'm welcome to check with their supplier, but he warns me they were told thete would be no more, as said supplier had told them they were not re-ordering from the mfgr, as they didn't feel there was enough demand....
So, I google the supplier, find their webpage, and discover they're not open Mondays:(
SO, Tuesday rolls around, and I call, and YES, they have stock ATM, but again, am told when they're gone, they're gone.....so I suck it up, and order enough to top up the qty I have on hand to the qty actually needed to install the interior trim mouldings.
My order ships out of Georgia Wed morning, Feb 1st/2017........when we're almost to the middle of the month with no sign of them, I mention this to the sender, who shortly after emails me back with a tracking number (which had not been provided previously)
So, I check the tracking number.....

Starting on the USPS site....

January 31, 2017
Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS,
USPS Awaiting Item

February 1, 2017 , 12:01 pm
Picked Up
CONYERS, GA 30012

February 1, 2017 , 2:04 pm
Departed Post Office
CONYERS, GA 30012

February 4, 2017 , 6:46 am
Arrived at Facility
ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)

February 4, 2017 , 6:46 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
MIAMI, FL 33112

February 5, 2017 , 6:53 am
Processed Through Facility
ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)

February 5, 2017 , 6:53 am
ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)

February 5, 2017 , 9:48 am
Arrived
MIAMI, UNITED STATES

February 5, 2017 , 12:30 pm
Departed
MIAMI, UNITED STATES

February 6, 2017 , 12:30 pm
Departed
TORONTO, CANADA

February 6, 2017 , 4:01 pm
Departed
VANCOUVER, CANADA

February 7, 2017 , 11:33 am
CANADA

February 7, 2017 , 11:33 am
Customs Clearance
CANADA

Your item cleared customs in CANADA at 4:15 pm on February 7, 2017.

February 7, 2017 , 4:15 pm
Customs clearance processing complete
CANADA

Then, switching to Canada Post Site:

In Transit Current date
2017/02/17

Expected delivery
2017/02/13
WTF??

As you can see, the package has been in Canada, and through Customs since Feb 7th/2017, but seems to be stuck in limbo??

So, on the Canada Post site, there is a way you can fill in a "Ticket" to have a late/non arrival looked into.....but when I try this, it all comes grinding to a hault when I try to put in a US Zip for the origin, and get a popup stating "Invalid Input":mad::mad:

So, after calling the Canada Post toll free number and exploring all the different paths I can take by pressing different numbers, I EVENTUALLY get to talk to a human......I tell him about all that has transpired, give him the tracking number:mad:....he asks me some questions......looks it up using the tracking number........then tells me there is nothing he can do from here, and that I need to contact USPS & have them investigate the matter??
I tell him WTH would USPS get involved when the package has left the USA, and has been in Canada for a week?? He tells me that is the procedure??
Well, even if I was to go to USPS, they in turn would have to contact Canada Post, as I highly doubt that USPS has full access to Canada Post's data, so in the end, it's just one more cook in the kitchen??

Would I be alone in thinking this is the most ludicrous Policy/Procedure ever??

So much for logic:confused:

Anyways, the package has been in Canada since the 7th (so TEN DAYS now), and it's position on the "Tracker" hasn't moved since the first time I looked on Mon the 13th

Sorry about the length, not sure there is much to be done, mostly just VENTING.....

James

James....wow, what a tale.....good luck. Had a Canadian only shipping deal with Canada post.....was posted on here a couple of years back. Took 5 weeks for a set of licence plates to go from PG to Calgary. It went PG to Edmonton To Calgary, to Vancouver, To Nanaimo, to Calgary.........whew.....

Keith, yup, it's quite the soap opera:)

....and I typed the CENSORED VERSION, the version in my head has MANY EXPLETIVES!! lol

James

Sorry James, I'm sitting here laughing now. Can't help it. Glad its not me. Good luck with that.

I feel your pain. In past experiences with items coming into Canada I have found once they are here the tracking stops.

James, did you know that you can track a USPS number through the Canada Post site right from the get-go?

Not an unusual story.

I've been ordering lots of small parts lately from US vendors and ask them to use USPS, as such, have seen the shipments delayed for some time in the USPS system as it bounces around, then not only in the Canada Customs system but once released "usually" arrive within 7 days.
There are only two Canada Customs/Canada Post processing plants in Canada that handle US origin packages/mail....Toronto and Vancouver.

Some times I think its worth the other hassle of paying the UPS/FedEx brokerage fees just to get them.

I have always wondered why the US vendors ship small stuff in oversized boxes.
Asked once and got 1) smallest box we have and 2) experience says they don't lose that many shipments versus a smaller box or bubble envelope.

.........So,.....problems are easy, everyone has them, .....solutions are a little harder.

In this particular case I think there is an advantage to living in a small town. You are obviously being stonewalled by a bureaucratic-minion but what I would do is check MY know it all attitude at the door and find a helpful sympatric real person (they do exist, but are as common as a sasquatch riding a unicorn) ) and go into "I need help" grovel mode at a small post office. Minions love to be hero's. :)

.........So,.....problems are easy, everyone has them, .....solutions are a little harder.

In this particular case I think there is an advantage to living in a small town. You are obviously being stonewalled by a bureaucratic-minion but what I would do is check MY know it all attitude at the door and find a helpful sympatric real person (they do exist, but are as common as a sasquatch riding a unicorn) ) and go into "I need help" grovel mode at a small post office. Minions love to be hero's. :)

I'm surprised you know how to do that :p:D:D:D;)

I'm surprised you know how to do that

........Yes,.........old age is a marvelous thing!

You get to figure out that if something doesn't work you might have to change how you handle it, ....and being a know it all that can offer possible solutions to problems........ rather than just useless crap. :)

James, this sounds like an all too typical government foul up.

Thus far, I have had good luck as long as my package travels via the USPS system, NOT UPS. And unlike 1Kool, I despise paying those bastards $70 for a fake brokerage charge.

Ray is right in that you catch more flies with honey than with caustic soda, so when you get some miniature brained government moron who obviously doesn't have a left handed clue, try asking for his name.

You'd be surprised what a difference that makes. Still no results? Ask for his or her supervisor's name and contact info. Sometimes that works wonders.

Obviously the jackass that you spoke to left what little brain he may have at home in the refrigerator that day.

The only delays I have had are usually at the clearing station, usually in TO. But generally only two or three days.

Apart from the licence plate fiasco I've always been fortunate with my cross border dealings.
Ordered some parts last Sunday and they are at my local post office as of last night.

Heavily EDITED:

And unlike 1Kool, I despise paying those bastards $70 for a fake brokerage charge.

Incorrect, I too despised paying those charges, was just wondering out loud that it might be an easier "hassle" as Ive been charged GST and a 9.95 handling charge averaging around $22 per shipment of late on all USPS shipments. The UPS charge would be around $30 on these and received much sooner.

Oh, a BTW, I have gone through the Canada Post and USPS cycle. If its in Canada, USPS says to contact Canada Post to put a tracer on it.
A no-win situation.

Heavily EDITED:

Incorrect, I too despised paying those charges, was just wondering out loud that it might be an easier "hassle" as Ive been charged GST and a 9.95 handling charge averaging around $22 per shipment of late on all USPS shipments. The UPS charge would be around $30 on these and received much sooner.

Oh, a BTW, I have gone through the Canada Post and USPS cycle. If its in Canada, USPS says to contact Canada Post to put a tracer on it.
A no-win situation.

Not really sure how you get your $30 UPS fee? If you are paying $22 per shipment with Canada Post and $9.95 of that is their fee that means you are paying about $12.50 is GST which means your goods are worth about $250. UPS's fee for clearing $200-350 value in goods is $50.45 plus you would still pay the GST so that is about $63.00.

Not really sure how you get your $30 UPS fee? If you are paying $22 per shipment with Canada Post and $9.95 of that is their fee that means you are paying about $12.50 is GST which means your goods are worth about $250. UPS's fee for clearing $200-350 value in goods is $50.45 plus you would still pay the GST so that is about $63.00.

A shipment before Xmas which came via UPS instead of USPS, $204 value with a $30 brokerage fee plus the usual GST.

It's not all that unusual. I know of several people ordering car parts from the States. Some of the stuff arrives and some does not. Calling Canada Post seems like a waste of time. Ever notice how they don't have an e-mail address?. They only do complaints over the phone.

Last summer a cousin mailed me some collectible Elvis stamps. Mailed them in August and it took 3 months before they actually arrived from Michigan. When they did arrive... they were damaged.

Heavily EDITED:

A no-win situation.

Some time ago, perhaps two or three years now, I called the UPS office somewhere in the States and asked what their brokerage charge was. I was quoted a flat $70 at that time.

On another occasion, I brought in a telescope from California (via UPS) on which the freight charge was $80. They added another $80 for brokerage. Value of the 'scope was $249.

Now, living in the boonies, I don't think I have been charged anything on any item that we have brought in from the US, regardless of the carrier. Perhaps we just have a sympathetic postmistress here?

Last edited:
I don't think I have been charged anything on any item that we have brought in from the US, regardless of the carrier. Perhaps we just have a sympathetic postmistress here?

Canada Post also does Purolator in some circumstances, (a subsidiary) all other carriers have nothing (business-wise:eek:) to do with your postmistress.

UPS would have certainly charged you their fee. :)

I notice that under a $100.00 Canada post/customs usually doesn't charge anything.

Canada Post also does Purolator in some circumstances, (a subsidiary) all other carriers have nothing (business-wise:eek:) to do with your postmistress.

UPS would have certainly charged you their fee. :)

I notice that under a $100.00 Canada post/customs usually doesn't charge anything.

I think we have had two items delivered by Purolater which originated in the U.S.

Recently, we had a $105 U.S. item delivered, again without any fees. Must be my good looks! :D