Poor combination

shaune

Supporting Member
I have made 2 trips south this spring with my lowered Chev truck, and my gosh, Saskatchewan highways and lowered Chev DO NOT go together !!
SWMBO (she who must be obeyed), is close to refusing to ride in it anymore. Last night we went to Prince Albert for a car club meeting and she drove so i could sleep.....hell i couldn't sleep, had a sore neck and my fat belly flopped around the whole drive down.
It seems there are plenty of frost heaves and the truck hits the bump stops on everyone.....almost thinking of buying the old suspension back
100_4507.jpg

If you got rid of the "rubberband":Dtires and put on some taller tires it would prolly improve the ride.
Airbags would make it way better too.

-Shiny

The rubber band tires are in storage in have real tires on steel rally rims on it for winter....yes surprizing it is still winter here :( I even lowered the inflation pressure a bit on the winter tires hoping to soften the ride.
These roads are very bad part of the world.

How did it get lowered, Shaune?If it was done by cutting coils and robbing springs outta the rear it's gonna ride like crap and bottom out constantly.I've got a 90 GMC with a 4 and 6 drop on it and it rides nice and corners like it's on rails(Actually quite nice for a P.U.).I run 255/45x17 on the front and 255/55x17 on the rear,for rubber and that helps the ride.The only time this thing hits the snubbers is when I got a heavy load on her.The front end is done with DJM spindles and springs and the rear runs new hangers and shackles and full spring packs.It has a bit of a rake,but I still can haul a load and can travel anywhere in relative comfort.
Here's a pic;
P7140010.jpg

I've got a 5 in the front and 3 in the rear drop on mine, bell teck spindles and springs in the front, blocks in the rear, just waiting to put in rear leaves.... and it rides not too bad at all, similar to dale's... like its on rails. but I agree SASK ROADS SUCK!!!!! I lived in lloydminster area with it.. and it would bang on the bump stops all the time... UNTILL I cut the stock bump stops. I cut 1 inch of rubber off the stock bump stops... this helped alot!!! the proper way to do it is to go and buy the after market "lowered" bump stops. mine is built on the cheap. sawzall it was!!!.

YEAH I KNOW ITS UGLY LOL

s10_1.jpg

Unfortunantly i bought the truck this way. It looks like new springs all around but i don't know about the front spindles. Actually the rubber band tires aren't as bad for ride as i thought. When i bought a set of the proper size tires (235 ?) for winter there was no noticeable difference. It does ride hard as configured but corners great.
I brought home 10 sheets of drywall after the car club meeting and the rear didn't bottom out any faster than going down empty.

I'm thinkin a 6" lift kit would make it LaRonge worthy......................LOL...........

I grew up around Melfort and you right....... Spring Sask roads are murder.

Cheers 53chevyply

I would honestly crawl under nieth and look at the bump stops.. if stock they are prob 2 inches or more long. I cute over an inch off of mine.. and it doesnt bottom out hardly at all now. but before it would make you piss blood just driving around town

I am thinking about having a shorter bump stop. On my 59 i removed a leaf and thus the truck sat lower so removed the bump stop completely.....no troubles with that set up. Might look and having shorter ones for the Chev.
Piss blood :D:D:D:D, not quite but my big belly was all jiggly as a passanger.

I think Kustom is on the right path, trim some off. if that works, it will give you some time to plan a set of new ones that will give you travel, and still stop metal-metal mashing......'cause you know they ain't fixen them roads!!
Bindare, lostdeshirt.

Shaune ,when I first bought my truck someone had lowered it by cutting the front coils and taking two leafs out of the rear.She was down right scary if you hit a bump in a corner.She'd bottom out on the snubbers and send you bouncing all over the place.The point here is The seller said the truck was professionally lowered,it wasn't!!!I would definately trim the snubbers, but if you're not sure about the lowering job have it checked out by a reputable shop.

I had a 94 GMC Seirra GT lowered,I cut the snubbers down a bit and it made a big difference....It just had cut coils in it when I bought it also....