Is the high cost of fuel endangering our hobby

Chuck

If you want to go banger, and have a good time doing it look up the "Secrets of Speed"
You are the kind of hand on guy who'd likely get down and dirty with all the hop up options available for early banger engines. If the tinkering get you as much as the cruising it's definitely worth looking into. The only "upgrade" you might consider as far as a newer banger goes is to ditch the A engine for a B.

Read these;
http://www.1149.ca/banger/Fundamentals.pdf
http://www.1149.ca/banger/resurrecting.pdf
http://www.1149.ca/banger/TheHal.pdf

Mike

Thanks Mike ..Appreciate that information...I think a lot of guys are gonna have ta make some new decisions in in the years to come ...Don't know where we are headed..just thought it might be interesting to get other ideas and opinions..I personaly do not suscribe to the global warming school of thought...How-ever I do believe we all need to take better care of our world and be more responsible about how we consume and waste our natural resources..But the realization of the cost of fuel to run high horse power engines just to go cruzin on week-ends is going to be more and more expensive in the very near future ...I do not think this energy thing is going to go away anytime in the future...This is the new reality we face in the future...I doubt I will be building any more fat engines ...I am looking to learn to have fun with reviving some old four bangers...Sucks ...but ..I can see $10.00 a gallon not to far away...:eek::eek: fatchuk

i dont care if gas is $444.44 a spoonful i have waited my whole life for a hot rod and the nasty old big block stays:cool::cool::cool:

The price of Diesel here in Newfoundland is now at $1.47 per litre. I've got a 45 gal. drum for heating oil for my garage and a couple of days ago it cost me $216.67 to fill, $1.16 per litre. I'm glad I sold my 74 Olds 98 with 455 and 66 Caprice with 396. Gas is $1.27 per litre(regular). Inline 6 and 4 cylinders are looking better everyday.

The motor in my street strip car with 366 cid gets 11 mpg , the over 400 inch mill, gets 8 mybe 9 miles to the gallon.
As for fuel mileage I never worried too too much . My old 6 cyl G Cherokee with power steering a/c power windows , brakes , tilt , leather seats cruise pulse wipers ...Uses less fuel to get to TMP , towing my street car on a trailer then driving the car there itself .
All of my stuff is getting over drives though .Mainly cause a lotta these manual o/d trans have better ratio spreads and can cut down the highway rpm,s nicely .
For me to cruise at about 65 mph is about 3300 rpm,s , dropping that by 28 percent looks prety good .
Plus a t5 styled trans is proven 2- 3 tenths better then a Ford top loader in the 1/4 .
My 50 chebby truck is running a b/w super t10 right now , but I,m switching it to a 700r4 and 3.70 gears for towing a car trailer . My model a project is gonna get a 700r4 also . partly the truck an A are getting auto,s so my wife can drive em if,n she wants too..77.

I'm with Haney.....untill the bank takes my house!! :( Then I might have to find the cars without the locking caps:eek:

The part I could do without, Newfoundland DOES have it worse, is the high price of Diesel $1.22 L................Sorry, but I use my truck daily, no longer than two days per full tank of fuel! Now if 'cruizers' were all using the premium fuel, AND the gov would knock down the regular comuter fuel prices, I would gladly pay a 'premium' price for the luxury of 'kruizin', but lets keep the every-day fuels at a 'normal' cost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't see this rant over.....:mad:
Greg.

The 4.3 in my truck got 15mpg to the U.S. gallon on the hiway at cruisin' speed last summer.(whole different story when I bury my foot in it!) ;) Now I have installed the Gear vendors unit and am hoping to get about 18 mpg this summer. Sort of one of the reasons I went with a V-6. You know gas ain't never going back to when we started driving's prices.

The price of gas is just one of them little omens of having and driving our toys!

Russ

I have a 350 in my "A" and I am getting not only probably over 30 mpg but I also get double that in smiles per gallon!!

Well boys, the day where you have a secret still and moonshine out the back to run your car off straight alcohol may not be all that far away. It would come down to the choice of drinking or driving......... never both.

Russ

On another site that I go on there is a dude in N Cali who is into road racing with a sedan type car and he brews his own fuel . I dont know the details , but some others have witnessed the set up . Legality in Canada who , knows , probably right up there with the new " street racing " laws.
If,n you brewed your own fuel , there robably some kinda road tax laws involved..77.

There are guys out there who brew their own Bio-Diesel. What would be the difference?
After my car hits the road, I will see then how deep my pockets are to keep filling up the tank with Premium. :eek:

...I have bought outdated avgas from air charter guys pretty cheap...has a 2 yr legal lifespan in drums ... 100LL perks up the ole ponies and good for the old high compression engines or with valve seats that haven't been updated...:D

Well as spring is approaching and a young mans thoughts turn to girls and cars..nothing can stop the little head..

But for this old guy as spring is approaching this oldmans thoughts turn to $25.00 to cut the grass every week, $100.00 to $150.00 bucks for a week-end of cruisin, plus eatin out, plus insurance, + + + + is startin to = abig bunch of ----'s in me bank account...gettin to be I can only afford to have every second week-end to enjoy the cruizin anymore...guess I kin still wash on the week-ends I can't afford to gas the biggest expense I have up..:(:(.fatchuk

I plan on yanking out the original 216 from my 50 but will replace it with another 6 for sure...250?

The 216 with 3 on the tree sounds like an old Vancouver Trolley Bus pulling into a stop. Need an open drive shaft, more gears for cruising and something with pressurized oiling!

I'll pass on the V8 for now thanks!

hey bud i happen to have a 250 6 complete with 40,000 k on it hei ignition alt/motor mounts/hooked to my engine hoist for fast loading $1 per cubic inch!!!

250 chevy

yo mr. haney if dribbs doesn,t want that motor i will take it off yourhands!

:eek:Hey FATCHUCKLES:DMy Buick Roadmaster gets 33MPG .I'm surprised your caving in on a four banger .If you cut my V8 in half you should get 66MPG but you won't ,so stick with the big cars and big motors . Like one of the guys said ,in 1960 I was making $55.00 a week and paid .35c a gallon or about 10c a litre . Today I'd make $1500.00 a week and that translates to $2.80 a litre. So we are ahead of the game right now. Even if I only made $750.00 a week that would be $1.40 a litre .We would still be ahead of the game. My Buick has a 350 in it and an overdrive tranny in it with 2:50 gears in it .So with that kind of thinking build something similar . It still lays rubber . :eek:
Bob

hey bud i happen to have a 250 6 complete with 40,000 k on it hei ignition alt/motor mounts/hooked to my engine hoist for fast loading $1 per cubic inch!!!

I'd take it for sure but how the hell would I get it here???

Do you offer FREE delivery? :rolleyes::D

I'm gonna check to see if anyone travels between PG and Van on a regular basis that may have some room for it.

Last edited:
34ford says....
in 1960 I was making $55.00 a week

Thats the whole trouble Bob..I am still only making $100.00 a week...and paying $5.00 a gal..fatchuk