1948 Chev coupe "Mabel"

And it even fits! Being from down under you would expect it to be back to front and upside down 😂😂:D

This has been a great ride along...I too like the old script, and the overall look of that rocker cover. Fun stuff!
Thanks for the post...update
Greg

enjenjo: Just a heads-up: 4-1/2" Bolt Circle in metric is 114.3mm

Gfart: If you do a little googling, I expect you'll find some info about using 1999-2004 Mustang Cobra IRS hubs on T-bird or Lincoln Mk 8 IRS to get the 5 on 4-1/2" bolt pattern.

James

Be careful using GM wheels on a Ford front end. The bolt pattern is oh so slightly different GM is 114mm, and Ford is 114.7mm , or 4.5"

Gfart: If you do a little googling, I expect you'll find some info about using 1999-2004 Mustang Cobra IRS hubs on T-bird or Lincoln Mk 8 IRS to get the 5 on 4-1/2" bolt pattern.

James

Thanks for the tip James. I'll keep my eye out at Pick N Pull for Mustangs with these. But if I don't have luck, these wheels work. Right now P N P is surrounded by Bylands nursery where they've had a big outbreak of Covid-19, so I won't be going near there for a while and I'm still in quarantine having come home from Oz last Sunday.

Being a Ford guy,,, Enjoying the build!!
Just went through the thread, will admit didnt read it all, but I like the pics, lol.
Your engineering is awesome!
Fred

John, could I bother you for a couple measures off your irs install?
I don't have the stock sub assembly just the components.
So I cant tell if the half shafts are straight from center to spindle or is the center for/ aft of the spindles.
Also would you measure the distance from the inside of the right side spindle to oil seal face of the center? From that I could deduce how much I need to shorten my half shafts.
Would appreciate it much,,
Fred

Hey John, just a note to let you know I disassembled both half shafts, the axles are the same side to side.
Just need to find that Tbird around here so I can crawl under and get that measurement.
Fred

While my chassis is out being powder coated I am up to no good. I told the powder coat guy it was no rush as this project has been dragging on for several years. That may have been a mistake as it's not back yet after two weeks. So for no good reason I made an adapter to mount an old GMC valve cover that Alaska Gasser sent me on the Ford 300 six. I guess I just want to be different, not that that isn't obvious anyway. :D The spacer will be green so it's not so obvious.

o0VGm9K.jpg

t3r36Qb.jpg

9raomtg.jpg

v1d9rLc.jpg

Last edited:
Thats excellent! Its always fun to sit back and listen to the comments of the hot rod experts at a car show haha.

I am up to no good.
That's cool, nice to fool the "experts" sometimes.

I was going to put a 302 Ford engine with Mopar engine badges in my Plymouth wagon until my conscience (guilt) got the best of me and I used a 318.

Sorry for the mini hi-jack, looking at face book posts does that to one.

zlqoepVm.jpg

I was going to put a 302 Ford engine with Mopar engine badges in my Plymouth wagon until my conscience (guilt) got the best of me and I used a 318.
zlqoepVm.jpg

The good part of modifying your ride is it's your choice. Some may like what you do and some don't. But it's your car so do it your way and don't feel guilty. I think we all appreciate seeing different ideas. :)

Well to completely high-jack this thread.
Sometimes good things come of a bad decision. Now that I had a left over fuel injected HO 302 what to do with it, found a 1956 Ford panel truck that I have always wanted that I would not have been looking for if I had used the 302. :D

Carrying along with the hi-jacking... I recall a car at the Yakima swap/show many moons ago that came in from elsewhere. It had a Wayne valve cover on a GM/Chev 6 & the guy was spouting about how rare it was, however, he didn't realize a fireman that lives there has a dozen Wayne heads & ALL of them have intake on one side & exhaust on the other! Never saw him again!

Looking good John. Those frames have a lot of strength from the get go due to their “hat” design. Coming along nicely. :)

NICE! Now the fun begins !!
This my favorite time of the build. Bolting stuff on for the last time :)

Looks great...so with everything you did on the frame are you happy with it or is there something different you would do if you did it again?