1938 Ford Sedan

My project has proceeded for six years and is 1938 Standard sheet metal fitted to a 1938 Deluxe body. Both the original standard frame as well as the deluxe frames needed a lot of "work" to be a good foundation. So, in my last year before retirement I invested in a Fat Man Fabrications frame. Heavy duty style front end,power rack in place, 9 inch Ford rear, 4 wheel disc brakes and the plumbing already run. Used a 2x6 home made lifting rack to lift the body from the old frame and lower to the new one. The body was lifted umpteen times from the frame during the course of the build. Refurbished an old home built rotisserie to aid in the build as well.
Looking good Russ

Have not been in the Car Shop for a month. The honey do list became the basement painting, office morphed into the gym area then the section housing my mineral collection. I have 7 dining room hutch and buffets, 4 large display cabinets, plus four smaller display cabinets and three small wall cabinets filled with mineral specimens.. I tried postponing the mineral area but the "boss" was adamant. lol Very time consuming rehousing hundreds of mineral samples, moving two cabinets out from the wall, painting, replacing the cabinets back into place, start again. Time flew by and my car only gathered dust. Have to admit I am waiting on the delivery of parts for the Vintage Air hook up but I could have been doing other things on the car. So a couple of pictures from a month ago.

Picture of Vintage Air unit under the dash, New Port Engineering wiper unit above the windshield (hard to see). Defrost vent hose hanging down. Not sure how much vent clearance I will have when I install the one piece windshield so I carefully cut the area between the vent holes and the top edge of the dash. If the windshield totally seals off the vents, I have 3/16 inches of space above each vent area.

Attachments

• IMG_2811 (1).JPG
    IMG_2811 (1).JPG
    69 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2821.JPG
    IMG_2821.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2820.JPG
    IMG_2820.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 98
Just checked. Had not posted an update in over a year. Life gets in the way. Windshield is in. Door windows in and back windows as well. Wiring started but not connected to anything yet. At the moment I have the hood aprons, fenders, grill pieces hanging loose on the front end. Need the hood in place to level everything up. I had bought a new AC condensor for the front of the radiator but did not realize how tight the hood aprons fit near the rad. As a reminder, I had to replace all the bars except the top and bottom on the hood aprons. Used a rounded top edge on flat bar, then heated and bent to shape. So where one could have bolted all the pieces together as one unit and then installed as a unit, the extra weight of the flat bar is not easy to hold during install. Everything is now painted so will level the hood and go from there.

Attachments

• IMG_1007.jpg
    IMG_1007.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1006.jpg
    IMG_1006.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1003.jpg
    IMG_1003.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1002.jpg
    IMG_1002.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1012.jpg
    IMG_1012.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 64
More pictures

Attachments

• IMG_1011.jpg
    IMG_1011.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1010.jpg
    IMG_1010.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1008.jpg
    IMG_1008.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 60
Awesome stuff. Love it, this a great looking cruiser! Thanks for sharing, the spaghetti game…what a relief when that is all tucked up.

Have not posted progress for some time, so here is a catch up. Upholstery is complete. The master brake reservoir has to be replaced as the original one that came with the frame restricts the brake fluid (too small to feed 4 disc brakes). Have purchased an electronic emergency brake system to be installed. Will get mechanical inspection done first thing in the Spring. Been a 10 year journey. Hope you like the progress.