Emergency Contact List / "Rodside Assistance"

Sorry Frank feeling kinda guilty for giving you all this extra work from a question I asked ........ oops

I think the list would be best served for members only as it should add some protection from outside scammers imo.

Cheers Shane

I think members would be best . Is the fear of the list being more public only about abuse ( people calling to help with a tire change on their toyota ) ?

I think members would be best . Is the fear of the list being more public only about abuse ( people calling to help with a tire change on their toyota ) ?
People might have unlisted numbers or put a mobile number on the list that they don’t want in wide distribution possibly.

any of our members, supporting or otherwise should have access to that list

I'm good with what Greg (CDNflatlander) said. (y)

Even though, I don't feel that the old list was abused in any way.

Guys, thanks for the validation… I would agree with most of the murmuring. I did not see any abuse or feel that there was an influx of phone/text ‘sales calls’ with our previous system and list. I will state that I also share some of my hobby time with Amateur Radio/Provincial Emergency Services. There has been on occasions where it would appear that a phone list gets shared and a guy gets more than his share of “off shore” calls. These lists had been free/open with listed phone numbers is where I believe the ‘bots’ grab numbers and the 3am ‘investment’ calls start.
I am totally open to sharing my cell number to a controlled group of ‘yet to be made’ friends, in hope that I could assist when needed.
In my remarks, if it wasn’t clear, anyone that has signed up as a user/member/supporter would have access to the RodSide Assistance List…as before a few clicks to access the list and print…just to prove it isn’t a bot looking for someone to wake and take advantage of.
Not much cooler activity than helping out… makin new friends, face to face.
Cheers,
Greg
4zero3 5zero5 nine thousand.

I'm in Frank, a couple of members have used it when out here and I had used it when up there, so I guess you still have my details.

Cheers and keep up the good work mate.

A few thought from the peanut gallery. It is a shame that things liken this have to be "protected" from ne're-do-wells but I guess that is the world we live in. To that end, rather than a list for someone to access to loo. for a nearby member for help, what about, anyone willing to help goes one a list (that only Frank has) and ANY member that needs help sends an email stating name (handle) location and nature of the problem to a designated email address that automatically forward the email to all on the list. Anyone that is close and able to help can respond to the email to exchange phone numbers OR can put the person in distress in touch with someone else that they know close by willing to help. This way there is NO list of any kind accessible to the public but ALL metres have access to contacting each other for help. Bing a computer nitwit, maybe this idea is just stupid, I don't know. Just a thought. Also, whatever way a list is compiled I would like ANY member to be able to include themselves without haveing to bother Frank to do it.

A few thought from the peanut gallery. It is a shame that things liken this have to be "protected" from ne're-do-wells but I guess that is the world we live in. To that end, rather than a list for someone to access to loo. for a nearby member for help, what about, anyone willing to help goes one a list (that only Frank has) and ANY member that needs help sends an email stating name (handle) location and nature of the problem to a designated email address that automatically forward the email to all on the list. Anyone that is close and able to help can respond to the email to exchange phone numbers OR can put the person in distress in touch with someone else that they know close by willing to help. This way there is NO list of any kind accessible to the public but ALL metres have access to contacting each other for help. Bing a computer nitwit, maybe this idea is just stupid, I don't know. Just a thought. Also, whatever way a list is compiled I would like ANY member to be able to include themselves without haveing to bother Frank to do it.
Cody, interesting thought BUT the logistics of having a designated email address that automatically triggers a reply to a mass email distribution list is possible technically but likely not worth pursing as the time to invent in that and then monitor it would surpass the administrative time for an alternate method.

Also, and perhaps more importantly, my experience is that getting an email response is, at best, not reliable. Further, if the person has an urgent need, the only way is by phone. Just my opinion but thanks for the idea and for considering my involvement.

I understand what you mean by phone being more time sensitive than email. I had considered that but was trying to think of something that would keep the list private and not require much if any maintenance from you (you do PLENTY already). How about a list that's accessible to members only where not only can the members access it for help but also add/edit their own contact/location info. That way once it is set up the only admin requirement would be if a problem is reported. The problem with things like this is that some of us (and I do mean me but suspect I am not alone) overthink things and make them WAY more complicated than they need be in an effort to make it simple (examples are scattered throughout my projects).

I am on many sites that areas are only accessible by members logged in not by guests . I would think that would be all that's needed .

First off, you'll notice a new category in the "HELP" area called "Rodside Assistance" and a new post in that category called "Current Rodside Assistance Listing".

You will not be able to post in this new category and you will not be able to reply to the post that is there. I have started the post with some text from the previous version. The link to the actual list would be a work in progress.

After giving this some thought, if we want to proceed, the list will be accessible to Members and Supporting Members there. Guests (or members not logged in) will not be able to even see the new category. I have set this up and tested it this afternoon.

The reason I have set it up so that no one can reply or post is that I don't think we need a lot of discussion mixed in with the link to the list itself. I am going to move this thread to that category as a means to continue discussing.

Last edited:
Last deuce days in Victoria one of our members posted here looking for help. I answered his post & emailed a friend in Vic who provided his hoist & helped him get on the road safely again. I think any member here just needs to post & the Lone Ranger will come to the rescue! Hi oh silver!

Hi again all.

I have set up a test Rodside Assistance list for you to test. As I mentioned above, the list will be accessible to Members and Supporting Members there. Guests (or members not logged in) will not be able to even see the new category.

You can test the download
HERE (which will be the ongoing location of the list in the HELP section).