George Poteet's "Speed Demon" World's Fastest Piston Powered Car @ 462 MPH

Lee: No problem!

And I may be a minority, but just like in Drag Racing, I still have a soft spot for "Door Cars" I have tremendous respect for Fuel Dragsters, Funny Cars, and on the LSR side, the Streamliners.

But when guys build a door car that goes 300+ MPH, that's an amazing feat!!

And on the LSR side, one of my favorites is also a George Poteet car, a Barracuda they call BLOWFISH.

And the fact that they went255.6 with a turbo'd 4 cyl in it back in 2006 makes it even more impressive!

Here's a little blurb on the car by the shop that built it:

69Blowfish10.jpg

69Blowfish11.jpg

69Blowfish13.jpg

In 2008 we saw this rubber band race car at Bonneville built by Poteet’s crew. It went 17 mph.

Last edited:
In 2008 we saw this rubber band race car at Bonneville built by Poteer’s crew. It went 17 mph.

A car powered by runner bands??? That can go 17 MPH???

Keith, seems like you might be stretching the truth a little! lol

**Stumbled across a YT vid of the Speed Demon from ELEVEN years ago, you know, back when it "only" went 426 MPH:)
Vid is from drivers perspective in the cockpit, appears things went pretty smooth, and they had pretty good salt whichever year this was filmed....

"the fact that they went255.6 with a turbo'd 4 cyl in it back in 2006 makes it even more impressive!"

I was in Troy's shop in 2006, less than a month before Speed Weeks. The Blowfish was mostly finished, but the bare block was sitting on the workbench. I don't remember seeing and other engine pieces.
I was really amazed that they got it together and ran well just a few weeks later.