...Bare Naked Metal (Lincoln Update)....

bgbdlinc

I have been through window garnish Hell for several months. This includes chopping the door window garnishes, re-shaping the no-draught frames, chopping the windshield interior frame, re-shaping the rear quarter-window garnishes and frames while keeping them swing-out functional. These few things has taken up more time than putting the chopped top back together again (something to keep in mind if you're going to attempt a chop). It would be too easy to have stationary glass everywhere. I wanted to keep the swing-out no-draught windows and the rear quarter windows as swing-out just like the old customizers did back in the day.....to do this has been a huge pain in the ass -but it looks great and adds that touch of nostalgia that I like.
Here are a few pics of the current state of the dash and door window garnishes. Interior door trim is also mocked up. The whole interior is going to be bare metal except for the red leather seats. The rear quarter frames are out for glass fitting but I will show them later in a 'how to' piece on reshaping garnishes, frames, etc......
bgbdlinc
DSC01209.jpg

DSC01207.jpg

DSC01212.jpg

yah, but you know when you get to working on the interior pieces like garnish moldings, that you have come a long way and are making good progress!

She's lookin' absolutely killer, Dave!!Good to see your making some progress,can't wait to see some of your tech!!Guess I could call you bgbdkllrlinc!!

There are a ton of details to take care of after the top come's down. There is not much that does not get affected and it takes a lot of patience to work your way through everything. Kind of like when you go out for breakfast and have bacon and eggs. The chicken is part of the breaky but the pig is commited.

Hugh............PTP

Alot of poeple over look that stuff,, garnish mouldings and vent windows etc........I go through it time and time again everytime I lower the lid on something...It takes alot of time just like you said Linc, Looks good though ,keep at it your almost at the end of the chop now!!!!

Nothing great comes without hard work. Just look at the end results,they look GGGGRRRREEATE.

...all this work on the 'pretty stuff' is a new world for me, since most of the other 'styling changes' I've done, will be covered up with fiberglass and filler (like the rear fenders). This stuff takes precise cuts and a lot of thinking and measuring. Re-shaping the glass frames were the worst because no relief cuts are allowed. I had to bend them millimeter by millimeter on the anvil part of the vise with everything -rubber mallets, regular hammers, body hammers -not easy when the stuff you're bending is essentially 'u' channel and easily distorts to one side or the other.
The other problem I encountered with re-shaping the rear quarter window frames is that they have to be altered to be able to be disassmbled (i.e. they have to come apart with no 'undercuts' for the glass to be inserted properly) and put back solidly together -no mean feat when your trying to keep the 'pretty' and shiny lustre of the metal (I have no dough for sending it all to the chrome shop anyway).....some of this will be clarified with the 'how to'......
...thanks for the comments, they are (like for all of us) great for recognition and even greater for motivation......
bgbdshinyassedlinc

hey Linc....
Kind of splains the number of hrs it takes to get all that stuff done eh!! seems like yah can many week-ends and evenings doing hrs of work and 40 hrs later seems like your not moving the project along much...
Just stuff the glass in and mud er up with some short strand fiberglass :p

You can always do the little things later...Next winter..Little things ? did I say little things ?? those pesky little things seem to cost more than the engine ..Linc she looks real good You has come a long way since

soitbegins010.jpg

floors2002.jpg

floor2003.jpg

Keep pluggin ...I see the next riddler award rising from the ashes...fatchuk

Linc.......... Thats looking wicked. Your right however, that the trim and "extra pieces" are aften overlooked when considering a chop top. Keep it up, its gonna look killer.

Cheers 53chevyply

...Fatchuckles....your pics remind me of what we left behind at the former site...lotta history...here's another one -that day she was dragged kickin' and screamin' from your storage barn (she liked your warm, experienced hands on her) barely 18 months ago.......
LincComesHome3.jpg

bgbdlinc

....finally some updated pics of my very favorite linc .... I must say I prefer the handymans secret weapon for longetivity hahahaha ... lookin great mrlinc!!...don't be shy with bout postin a few more pctures please!!:D