touring build thread

bct

i'm rolling the touring out first thing tomorrow so i thought i'd dust off this old gemi hope to have it driving for the spring....i am motivated by the thought of the odd person who really enjoys build threads and i will try and post as much as i can....

got a spare hour to start the T build before supper.....

i really enjoyed learning to sew and building my roadster top so i want a hot rod with a huge folding chopped top

here is my inspiration, with a photochop/paint top

passrearsmallzs9ad.jpg

and this one too i like the fenders

T-in-snow.jpg

starting with a couple model A frames.....couple real gems
first one is a straight frame with a butchered front cross....was a mustang II on there
modelt002.jpg

second frame is the junker that came with my roadster
modelt003.jpg

check out the "traditional" end link....built in the late 50s i'm told
modelt004.jpg

the only thing i need is the old aftermarket crossmember.....suicide ...

modelt005.jpg

good and square
modelt008.jpg

next step is to clean it up and mount it on the front of the good frame

modelt007.jpg

here is the front half

4sale002.jpg

here is some of the suspension stuff

4sale003.jpg

got the spingles off and am havin real fun with the perch pins....going to have to drill

my old crossmember was way too rusted on the inside so i'm starting a new one ala le hamb

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297035

2x3 3/16 wall......125 would be better but i'll make it work..

crossmember002.jpg

i made a table for my horizontal bandsaw it works good but........ i'll admit that i cut the bottom with the jigsaw (slow)because the table isn't accurate enough to cut a slab 3" high
crossmember003.jpg

started to cut the shape....thats it ...too cold
crossmember004.jpg

decided to do a little project thats been stuck in my mind for a couple days......this isn't my idea....the origional thing is called a tuck puck.....used some technology we used to scallop seats on chairs....made a few
ministump001.jpg

ministump002.jpg

ministump003.jpg

ministump2001.jpg

ministump2002.jpg

ministump2003.jpg

bit more on the crossmember
touring001.jpg

got the wishpins out...yee haw...temp. mounted 40s stuff to a modelA axle
touring003.jpg

went and picked these up yesterday
touring004.jpg

touring005.jpg

ohho001.jpg

ohho008.jpg

ohho003.jpg

ohho002.jpg

ohho004.jpg

ohho006.jpg

ohho007.jpg

40 ford backers
customized my wishbones today

knuckles009.jpg

just need some small stamps

drilled and filled the axle ...customized the perch pins....not much i can do with the spindles

stuff1001.jpg

stuff1002.jpg

lunchtime update

vents001.jpg

vents003.jpg

Wide five yay

axle1001-1.jpg

axle1004.jpg

Lil preview..

tourin001.jpg

tourin004.jpg

Started to fill the holes

thurs004.jpg

fri001.jpg

Set the crossmember

thurs001.jpg

fri002.jpg

Frame table...lol

fri004.jpg

Spring in..
fri005.jpg

On to the rear....its break up here ....endless mud
fri003.jpg

A tip....to check your level take it to a flat wall and draw a level line....then flip the level END for END.....don’t spin it ....place against the line you drew....if its level , its good

thurs003.jpg

found some $5 u bolts at the swap meet in vernon...perfect timing
sunday1001.jpg

closer and closer to a roller...
sunday1005.jpg

trinity valley tire ltd.

sunday1008.jpg

sunday1006.jpg

i'm going to dig the body out and get some idea of how much to stretch the frame

sunday1002.jpg

I think i need some better panels and a sub frame
fuctT001.jpg

Might just build a modified...

fuctT002.jpg

Sure would be fun to have room for four
fuctT003.jpg

Reversed the corvair steering box
boxnpuller001.jpg

Made a drum puller....works great
boxnpuller002.jpg

boxnpuller003.jpg

A little treat for unsafe6....Chevrolet brothers 4 banger
boxnpuller008.jpg

No, I’m not going to run a PTO, just checking out the wheelbase....I’ll have to pull the banjo apart and swap bells....this gains me 7+ inches plus the 2 i gained on the front cross member ....I’ll have plenty of room for 200 cu/inch 6 cyl.

subrails004.jpg

Traced what was left of the old sub-frame and then lined up the front half, then started to fab a new set of rails from some galvanized steel i got from the vineyard
subrails001.jpg

subrails003.jpg

subrails005.jpg

Filled in the bottom layer
subframe1001.jpg

The graft
subframe1002.jpg

It’s a start

subframe1004.jpg

went and picked up the mtr/tran and had a great time, thanks again brian... Here is the most recent mock up...
tstrip003.jpg

tstrip004.jpg

The T strip was rotted right off at the end on one side but the other side was goodish..
tstrip001.jpg

I took a piece of 3/16 x 3/4 and cut it to size....welded it to the table and started to grind the profile on both sides

tstrip005.jpg

Used my balloon sander to fine tune the profile

tstrip007.jpg

tstrip008.jpg

The pieces
tstrip009.jpg

Here is the t strip finished...
tstrip2001.jpg

tstrip2002.jpg

The most recent mock up w/doors...

mockup3april15001.jpg

mockup3april15008.jpg

I have to make a curved flange to weld the sheet metal to...you could bend a stick but it’s never consistent..I traced the sub rail

mockup3april15003.jpg

..this is how to draw a curve...pound nails in your pattern at the ends of your curve and one at the peak in the center
Take two straight edges and make sure they are at least as long as your entire curve. Cross them over making sure that all three nails are being touched...like the pic...screw it or staple it together

mockup3april15005.jpg

Mark the center of your guide and remove the center nail...put your pencil where the nail used to be and slide the guide making sure its touching the remaining two nails...perfect curve symmetrically

mockup3april15006.jpg

French curve for the ends

mockup3april15007.jpg

The rear

rearbump001.jpg

shackles.

update002.jpg

Cheap frame table. The body isn’t flat and neither is my sub frame....I’ll clamp/ weld the body up on this....Level and flat will make it easier to construct the folding top...it would be nice to have a large steel table but i haven’t got any big scrap....fire extinguisher will be near....

update001.

Last dream shot..

update003.jpg

.it is apart today and starting body work

Spring break up is pretty much over here ,so i’ve been slackin’ on the T.....here it is today
Fire wall out and patch panels started...it seems dents are always under the structure....i’m going to leave all the patches off till i can start to sandblast
lunchtimeupdate2004.jpg

The motor mounts are in and i’m doing the tranny mount later...

ltud2.jpg

lunchtimeupdate2002.jpg

Flipping the rear worked out nice and saved me from stretching the frame

lunchtimeupdate2003.jpg

Tranny mount done and marking the wishbone length....

trancr001.jpg

trancr002.jpg

Made some threaded sleeves and welded them in with a large nut....just for the extra strength

trancr003.jpg

Ready to make the brackets
trancr005.jpg

Brackets...
suicidemounts009.jpg

Tapered reamer in action

suicidemounts007.jpg

Mounts
suicidemounts008.jpg

suicidemounts010.jpg

Jig to get the perches on the right plane to avoid spring bind
suicidemounts011.jpg

a spacer of 3/8 rod to get me close.
suicidemounts012.jpg

Boxing the perches
suicidemounts013.jpg

Well here she sits and thats gonna be it... for awhile..the hard part is going to have to wait..i have to get the dodge roadworthy so i have something to drive this summer and find a job in town , i guess....so my partys over....if you look there is parts from at least 6 members on this thing...THANKS again Brian for the great deal on the 200/tranny

partysover002.jpg

partysover003.jpg

partysover004.jpg

partysover007.jpg

Anyone have one of these dog bones...or even tell me what years this style was used?

partysover008.jpg

Last edited:
all of these have been posted last winter but never in one place...i'm going to be mounting the steering box tomorrow

nice to see it gathered together in one place.

keep the project and thread alive!

Looks great so far. I like the idea of flipping the axle bells over to move the rear end back. Did it affect the spring shackles any? binding?
As for the dog bones, i'm pretty sure they are 34 ford, but i'm not 100% and could be mistaken.

Hey

bct , the touring from which your taking inspiration from belongs to my buddy Daz, as a matter of fact the other T belongs to another guy i know-Phil.
If Daz's touring is anything to go by , you gotta get it done , its a blast to drive:D
Great thread by the way

Spock

...thanks for compiling everything together and for taking the time to stop, take pics, and start again....this is a great build thread....1) for the step-by-step....2) for the brief and direct narrative...and 3) for a very, very cool tub..... The innovations and 'use what you got' focus is just great....

Great build pictures BCT. Keep us informed with the progress, very interesting.

Carl

Wow, that looks great! I'll be keeping an eye on your progress, might have to steal a few of your ideas for my own touring. :)