Making holes in carpet

PG409

Supporting Member
We are installing the interior on the TR4.....found this info on a site which sent me to U tube. Had to do a number of holes in my carpeting to accommodate seat frames etc. Take a socket of the size you want the hole.....put it on an extension, heat it with a bernzematic torch for about 10 12 seconds and it goes through the carpet and rubber backing like butter. It also seals the carpet and backing together.....no frayed carpet threads.

Qrka54gl.jpg

211gOZ8l.jpg

Good tip. I use an electric soldering pencil. Open flame for me spells....ooops I slipped.:D

This also works for starting holes in taillight lenses for blue dots. Less chance of cracking the lens and then trim with a dremel or rat tail file...

Thanks, great to know how to do it.

Soo now you've got a fully annealed socket set for the next yard sale! :D

I have a hole punch set that cuts through like butter, even thick rubber belting. Just be sure to use something like end grain block of wood underneath to keep from damaging the sharp edges. My work purchased a nearly identical set that was made in China, mine was made in England.... guess which one did not break.

We are installing the interior on the TR4.....found this info on a site which sent me to U tube. Had to do a number of holes in my carpeting to accommodate seat frames etc. Take a socket of the size you want the hole.....put it on an extension, heat it with a bernzematic torch for about 10 12 seconds and it goes through the carpet and rubber backing like butter. It also seals the carpet and backing together.....no frayed carpet threads.

Qrka54gl.jpg

211gOZ8l.jpg

I have a hole punch set that cuts through like butter, even thick rubber belting. Just be sure to use something like end grain block of wood underneath to keep from damaging the sharp edges. My work purchased a nearly identical set that was made in China, mine was made in England.... guess which one did not break.

Hole punches are the better solution, even the cheap ones from Princess auto.

Heating up a hole punch is easier and cheaper to than possibly ruining a socket.

You'll get a cleaner neater hole than by using the broad tip of the socket.

A friend made me up a hole punch, tapered in his lathe. The socket worked much better as it held more heat. I also used an old socket

Ditto...& I hope Mel in Union Bay is reading this! How about a separate category just for these kind of really helpful hints? The mags run some but I hardly buy any more. Even stealing some of theirs would be welcome.

How about a separate category just for these kind of really helpful hints?

......how about when using a wire wheel on a 3/4 hp bench grinder to clean 60 years of rust off (36) body mount washers held with vise grips......do NOT look up at the clock.........it will pull the vise grips in along with your fingers :eek: (dumb old stupid bugger that I am)

I ground some SS tubing to about the same taper as a hole punch then welded on a shaft to it. Use it in a drill to make holes in carpet.