Photos 50th CAMRA anniversary

PG409

Supporting Member
Well, it seems Photobucket is not talking to me this AM.
We left Post Falls, Id yesterday after two wonderful days of vintage sprint and midget racing.
I will post a full update and story and photos and try uploading again at our next stop in Yellowstone.

Looking forward to your report Keith.

(Photobucket has changed the rules and the free space aspect.
High res photos "eat" up the space in no time and one has to purchase additional space.)

This first car is a Grant King injected sprint car. King was a well known chassis
builder from Victoria BC who moved to Indianapolis and made race cars for many stars including the Unser family and others. This one has independent front and rear suspension, which is almost unheard of on a sprinter.

Another King sprinter and I liked the real gold leaf.

This car belongs to Cdnrodder member Kamispecial (Jeff C) and was pillaged out
of Prince George BC two years ago. It is a radical offset car and won the CAMRA
championship in 1982 with Marty White driving. He drove it here as well.

Another shot of the black king car.

This whole deal was organized by the West Coast Vintage racers. CAMRA ran from 1963 to 1984. Tracks in Calgary, Edmonton, Prince George, Quesnel, Williams Lake, Langey and Victoria in Canada and Monroe, Boise, Lewiston, Portland and others in the US.

Dave D and Ron M (nofenders) worked their butts off all weekend on three race cars. This photo is Ron working on Al's car which
used to be wall art in my shop for 10 years.

This photo is Dave and Ron working on the offset car of Jeff's

My wife assisting Ralph (camra33)

Jeni again apprenticing as a tire changer for Dave. Maybe next year NASCAR.

The track had beautiful green spaces like this in many areas.

Independent front end on King car

And independent rear

This car is essentially the first Grant King car. 1962. Driven by Bob Gregg.
Now owned by 91 year old Don Shervey. He is a character and I had a long chat with him. Also met him at the Mission Historics in2005 where he had his late 60's Vollstedt 4 cam Ford rear engine indy car.

same car

A rear engine Tipke car. Before I forget, Brian from racing thru the raindrops
(cdnrodder digney in Burnaby) was also there.

taking photos thru the fence was not easy.

Love the Sprints ..... do they have Legends on the west coast.

CPC%20Legends%20Action!%20credit-%20Dean%20Speake.jpg

Darryl

I don't know about legends. They might, but they do not interest me......

This car has an ongoing article in Vintage Oval racing magazine. It is being built
by Jerry Day of the Seattle area. He is a long time builder of race cars and infact,
built the upright car I had for some time. It is powered by a 40's Ranger aircraft motor and these were actually used in the 50's to race against Offy powered cars.
Oh yeah, his cars were called Ram Race Cars.

Jeeze Keith, nic pictures and story. Looks like you two had a good time down there, thanks for posting.

Carl

This car has an ongoing article in Vintage Oval racing magazine. It is being built
by Jerry Day of the Seattle area. He is a long time builder of race cars and infact,
built the upright car I had for some time. It is powered by a 40's Ranger aircraft motor and these were actually used in the 50's to race against Offy powered cars.
Oh yeah, his cars were called Ram Race Cars.

Would these engines be air-cooled and dry sump, Keith? I remember an article from waaaay back about a vehicle using this powerplant, and driven by "Digger" Caldwell.

That car with the four-wheel independent suspension sure is nicely done.
Would be a tad delicate if it ever touched anything tho', and would be hard to do repairs at the track. The latest sprint cars sure don't resemble these, except the rear tank that looks identical. Sure can't beat the look of these old uprights.....classics!!!

Bgbkwndo.

Dave

Air cooled as far as I know. THey were used in pre WW11 trainers and in Grumman Goose amphibians (two of em).

Dave

Air cooled as far as I know. THey were used in pre WW11 trainers and in Grumman Goose amphibians (two of em).

Not to send this thread sideways..........but I believe the Goose had Pratt & Whitney 9 cyl. radial engines. The Ranger inline sixes were used in the
Widgeon, "cousin" to the Goose.

Dave.

Brian (digneyinburnaby) has posted up some photos on his racing website.

http://befastpast.blogspot.ca/

Dave

These are air cooled engines and 441 cu inches. How they ran against 270 cu in
Offys is interesting to me. Couldn't have been thru USAC sanctions. Apparently
was a west coast and northwest thing.
No turbocharging in early 50's on Offys as far as I know, so must have been a "run what ya brung" formula.

Thanks for that No Fenders and Keith, some great shoots of some very cool cars, looks like you all would have had a great time at that meeting,

Last edited: